Today, we are going to cut the introduction and go directly to the tips.
- Take a deep breath and relax. You know you have a lot of items that need to be moved and your first instinct will be to just start packing…but don’t. Before you begin, you will need to plan ahead.
- Your first step should be to take an inventory of everything you need to store. It doesn’t need to be written down but you’ll need to think through all the items that you plan on putting into your self storage unit for easy access later.
- Group all your frequently-used items together. You will want to pack these items last and keep them together in the front of your storage unit.
- All right, it’s time to start packing. Remember, you’ll want to maximize the use of your space while at the same time protecting your delicate items. Don’t forget, your storage unit is eight feet (8′) high. Use that vertical space.
- Protect your valuables by using bubble wrap, newsprint and other covers designed for your specific items. Mattress covers work well, as well as old blankets.
- Utilize the empty spaces in dresser drawers and appliances. Don’t forget to clean the appliances out first. This is a great place to store things like linens, bedding, clothing or even books and CD’s. Remember to leave that drawer or appliance door open a little so that air can circulate.
- Put all your garden tools together in empty trash cans.
- Break down furniture with removable legs and stack chairs. Don’t forget to put a blanket or sheet between surfaces so they do not get scratched or damaged. If a table can’t be broken down, don’t forget to store items underneath or on top.
- While you are stacking items in your self storage unit, make sure to put the heavier items underneath the lighter items.
- It is also a good idea to write down where you are storing your items in your unit. A map works really well when your loved one asks you to go to ezStorage to get that item he/she needs!
- Lastly, try to organize your unit so that you have an aisle down the middle from the roll-up door to the back. This will allow you to navigate your space much more efficiently. Don’t forget to keep your frequently-used items at the front of your storage unit.
- Planning is paramount when packing your things. Make sure you have all the right packing supplies: boxes, packing materials (bubble wrap, newsprint, peanuts, etc.), tape, markers and furniture covers. If you don’t know how much you’ll need, call your local ezStorage and talk to one of our storage experts. Remember, ezStorage offers a wide array of packaging supplies on site.
- Correct box size is important. Large boxes should be used for light items (e.g., bedding, linens, lamps) and small boxes used for your heavier items like books and documents.